Kalnes has a Cand.polit.-degree from the University of Bergen in 1990), with Comparative Politics as major subject. After that he worked as assistant professor at the Institute for Comparative Politics in Bergen. In 1995 he started working as assistant professor in political science at Lillehammer University College, which later merged with Hedmark University College into Inland Norway University of Applied Sciences.
In the fall of 2007 Kalnes was visiting scholar at the University of Wollongong and visited the University of California, Berkeley during Winter 2014/15. Most recently he was a Visiting Scholar at Royal Holloway, University of London in the spring semester of 2019.
At the present time mainly in the field of Media and Politics, ( see blog here) both at the national and international level.
Latest publications include:
- Cultures of anarchy: Images of Russia in the narrative of Norwegian mainstream news media during the Ukraine crisis 2014. Media, War & Conflict 2019 s. 1-24
- Den nye medieøkologiens utfordringer for risikokommunikasjon. I: Krisehåndtering, planlegging og handling. Fagbokforlaget 2017 ISBN 978-82-450-2111-0. s. 481-506
- Diffused peace facilitation and the cosmopolitan filmmaker’s dilemma. Media, War & Conflict 2016 ;Volum 10.(2) s. 168-188
- Mediene i politikken. I: Mediepedagogiske perspektiver : mediesosialisering, undervisning om og med medier. Cappelen Damm Akademisk 2015 ISBN 9788202436124. s. 149-173
- Medier og globalisering. I: Mediepedagogiske perspektiver : mediesosialisering, undervisning om og med medier. Cappelen Damm Akademisk 2015 ISBN 9788202436124. s. 123-148
See here for video presentations of some of the latest research.