Health insurance

Students coming from abroad are responsible to get insurance for their study period in Norway.

We highly recommend that all students arrange travel insurance and other necessary insurances according to their specific needs, in addition to health insurance. INN University does not offer health insurance or travel insurance. For more information, view Studyinnorway's webpage (external link).

All international students are recommended students purchase additional insurance that may cover cancelled flight tickets and other expenses due to COVID-19. 

Choose the option according to your nationality

EU/EEA/Swiss citizen

All students from EU/EEA countries should have health insurance from their home country. The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) documents that you are entitled to medical treatment during your stay in Norway (and other EEA countries and Switzerland) (external link). The card does not cover dental care or prescription drugs, nor expenses related to illnesses contracted before arrival in Norway. If you decide to use private health insurance, please check with your insurance company if your coverage includes Norway.

Upon registering with the police, you must present documentation of valid health insurance. You can present the EHIC card, which entitles you to get the cost of your treatment in Norway reimbursed by your national health provider back home. If you do not have the EHIC card, you must present other documentation of insurance. 

NB: You may need to take a Mandatory Tuberculosis X-ray (free). Further information is stated at the bottom of this page.

Nordic citizen

Upon registering a move to Norway (external link), students become members of the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme. It is, however, not required to be a member of the scheme to be entitled to health services in Norway. ID and proof of home address in a Nordic country (Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Iceland, including the Faroe Islands, Greenland, or Åland) are enough. Students are advised to save their receipts so they can apply for a refund in their home country.

It is, however, recommended that all citizens have the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) card in case they plan on travelling to other countries during their stay in Norway (external link). 

Non-EU/EEA citizens

All students from countries outside the EU/EEA should have private or public health (and travel) insurance before travelling to Norway, from their home country. No students should arrive in Norway without insurance. 

NB: You may need to take a Mandatory Tuberculosis X-ray (free). Further information is stated at the bottom of this page.

Additional insurance for non-EU/EEA citizens

Students from non-EU/EEA countries can become members of the National Insurance Scheme (external link) if they stay in Norway for more than 3 months. Becoming a member of the Insurance Scheme takes time and can only be done after obtaining the Norwegian identification number. All students should have social security coverage from their home country until they are assigned a GP (family doctor).

However, please be aware of the following:

  • Students with a membership will be assigned a GP. 
  • Coverage applies to medically necessary, state-provided healthcare under the same conditions and costs as Norwegian citizens. However, all students must pay the patient charges.
  • It does not cover dental care or illnesses contracted before arrival. 
  • The membership applies only to coverage in Norway. It does not apply as travel insurance or health insurance in other countries. Students cannot be refunded costs under the scheme for treatment in other countries. Students are strongly advised to have travel insurance from their home country valid for their stay at INN University.

Staying in Norway between 3 and 12 months

Students can apply for voluntary membership (external link in Norwegian) in the National Insurance Scheme. You should have private or public health insurance to cover the first months in Norway. However, be aware that there are no guarantees that you will be granted membership. 

Students who do not fill in this form or students staying in Norway for less than 3 months should have social security coverage from their home country.

How to apply:

  • Fill in the form entitling you to social security coverage (PDF) concerning health services per the National Insurance Scheme.
  • Submit the following documents:
  • Letter of Admission
  • Passport
  • Residence permit card
  • Norwegian ID number (or you must apply for a D-number while applying)

Send the form to the Insurance Office (external link) in the municipality you are staying (view local NAV offices),not the International Office at INN University

Staying in Norway for longer than 1 year

When the stay in Norway extends one year, students automatically become insured under the National Insurance Scheme when they register as a resident in Norway with the National Registry (external link). 

Mandatory Tuberculosis Chest X-Ray

Norwegian law requires that students (citizens) residing in Norway for more than three months take a chest x-ray (external link). Some students will be asked to take a tuberculosis test (both free of charge). This applies to students from countries with a high risk of tuberculosis (external link).

The examination is done at a local health station (nor. helsestasjon). Students will receive an invitation directly from the health services closest to their campus. Remember to bring a passport / ID card. If one cannot meet at the appointed time, one MUST cancel with a 24-hour notice. If one does not meet at the appointed time, one will receive a bill in the mail.

Who is not required to take a chest x-ray:

  • Students from EU/EEA countries (except Lithuania and Romania), including Switzerland and Lichtenstein
  • Students from the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Japan.

Positive results

If students test positive for tuberculosis, it will not affect their stay in Norway. Students will be offered controls and treatment if necessary, which is free of charge.