Norwegian version of this page

Special needs in everyday study situation

Do you have a disability, special need or illness that affects your everyday life as a student? If this is the case, you can apply for adaptation. 

Inland Norway University of Applied Sciences works to ensure that conditions are in place so that everyone experiences a good everyday student life. Students who have a temporary or permanent disability, impaired vision or hearing, chronic illness, dyslexia or ailments that lead to a disadvantage in their study situation can receive individual adaptation regarding their studies and examinations.

Examples of adaption measures

 Individual adaptation should be based on your situation and what can be of help to you. The adaptation cannot be at the expense of academic requirements, but is assessed on the basis of possible solutions for you in your programme of study. 

Special examination arrangements

Examples of special examination arrangements include additional examination time, use of support materials such as ergonomic equipment, dictionaries, workplace adaptation, reading the task aloud, use of special rooms at the campus, change of examination system, etc. 

More information about special examination arrangements 

Audiobooks through the Norwegian Library of Talking Books and Braille (NLB) 

The Norwegian Library of Talking Books and Braille (NLB) is a library that produces and lends audiobooks and braille books to people who are blind, visually impaired and others who have difficulty reading printed text. The service is free of charge and applies to students at universities, university colleges and vocational colleges. People have the right to borrow from NLB if they have impaired vision, dyslexia, ADHD or other disabilities that cause reading difficulties. 

The syllabus in audiobook format 

In the autumn of 2021, Inland Norway University of Applied Sciences and NLB will offer the syllabus in audiobook format for students with different types of reading difficulties. Anyone who is a student on one of the university’s bachelor programmes may register themselves. Read more 

Individual Education plan

An individual education plan means that you require more time to complete your studies than the prescribed nominal length of study. Contact your faculty to find out whether this is possible on your programme of study. 


Mentoring is primarily an offer to students who receive educational support through the Norwegian Labour and Welfare Administration (NAV). Please contact your NAV case officer regarding this offer. 

Sign language interpreter and speech-to-text interpreter 

If you require a sign language interpreter or a speech-to-text interpreter, please contact the NAV Interpreter Service 

Technical study aids

If you have a disability, technical aids are available that can help you to complete your education. If you require technical aids during your studies, contact the NAV technical aids centre in your county

Guide dog access

Guide dogs have a statutory right to enter buildings, reading halls, canteens, etc.  

Counselling and psychologist service

 As a student, you may experience various challenges and problems that you are unable to solve on your own. The Student Welfare Organisation Health (SINN Health) offers counselling and psychologist services for students.  

Student priests

The student priests (SINN) are happy to talk to all students regardless of their beliefs and outlook on life. The student chaplains also offer group talks about grief and coping with everyday life, and arrange maze walks.  

Additional grants

Students who are unable to work in a job while at university due to disability may apply to the Norwegian State Educational Loan Fund for additional grants. The scheme also applies to students with dyslexia.  

Mobile phone alarm

Are you hearing impaired and need additional notification if the fire alarm sounds? You can receive notification of a fire alarm on your mobile phone at all campuses. 

Send code word ALARM to 2223 and your mobile phone will be registered to receive a text message notification. The service is free of charge. 

How to apply

Contact the student advisor on your programme of study if you require adaptation or have any questions. We recommend that you contact us as early as possible, preferably before the start of your studies.  

Applications for special examination arrangements are to be made on a separate application form and have separate deadlines. 


You must document the disadvantages you experience in your everyday studies.  

As a general rule, a medical certificate from your GP will be adequate. In cases where your GP does not have the expertise to assess disabilities or special needs, a report from a specialist is considered relevant documentation. 

Dyscalculia, dyslexia and/or other learning disabilities must be documented in a report made by a suitable expert, such as a speech therapist. Documentation must be from the student’s lower secondary school period or later.  


Published Dec. 1, 2021 10:33 AM - Last modified Feb. 21, 2022 3:05 PM